Peel Station opened as the western terminus of the Isle of Man Railways Douglas to Peel line on 1 Jul 1873 located alongside the town's Harbour.
From the time of its opening the station provided a regular passenger service to Douglas which was 11.5 miles away. From 23 Sep1879 passengers could also reach Ramsey by changing trains at St Johns Station.
During the 20th century the Isle of Man became a giant holiday camp during the summer months and consequently its railways carried an extremely high volume of passengers.
By the second half of the 20th century, road transport and a decline in summer visitor numbers had started to affect the island's railways.
On 13 Nov 1965 Peel Station closed along with the entire Manx rail network due to the condition of the track which had received minimal investment for many years.
The Douglas to Peel line was re-opened following a rescue package on 3 Jun 1967. Services once again started running to Douglas.
However the newly launched services did not last very long and Peel Station closed to passengers along with all of the Douglas to Peel line stations on 7 Sep 1968. A goods service to Ramsey ran from Peel from 13 Aug 1968 until 29 Apr 1969.
After this the station site became derelict. In 1973 the track on the Douglas to Peel line was sold for scrap and lifted between 1974/75.
Peel - 11 Jul 2014
© CLIFF JONES PHOTOGRAPHY