Visitors 9
Modified 25-Sep-14
Created 25-Sep-14
6 photos

Blackfriars Road was a short-lived railway station on the South Eastern Railway (SER) line, between Charing Cross and London Bridge.
It was opened in 1864 with the name Blackfriars but closed less than five years later.
It is now retrospectively known as Blackfriars Road to distinguish it from the current Blackfriars station.
The former entrance to Blackfriars Road station under the railway bridge on Blackfriars Road itself is still clearly visible. The station, situated on the south bank of the River Thames, opened in Jan 1864 but closed in 1868 when it was replaced by the station now called Waterloo East (originally named Waterloo).
In 1886 the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) opened a station on the north bank of the river called St Paul's - this was renamed Blackfriars in 1937. After the renaming of the LCDR station to Blackfriars, the original SER Blackfriars station became also known as Blackfriars Road.
In 2005 the bricked-up former street level entrance and original wording were restored. At track level, widening of the viaduct on its north side is the only indication of its site.

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Blackfriars Road Station - 18 Sep 2014

Categories & Keywords
Category:
Subcategory:
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords: