Visitors 17
Modified 11-May-13
Created 11-May-13
3 photos

Bridport West Bay railway station was the terminus of the Bridport Railway in West Dorset. In 1879, the Great Western Railway, who held the operating license for the original Bridport Railway (which ran as far as Bridport town), decided to extend the railway to Bridport Harbour. Construction started in 1883, and the line opened on 31 March 1884. The station was called West Bay by the GWR in order to encourage holiday traffic. The line between West Bay and Bridport closed to passengers in 1930, and operated for goods services only until its final closure in 1962.
After many years as the office of a boat yard the station is now restored with a short length of track at the platform. A cafe occupied the building until closing in the summer of 2008, but reopened again as a cafe in 2010. From West Bay, a section of the former track bed can now be walked into Bridport.

"The Tea Station" - 7 May 2013

"The Tea Station" - 7 May 2013

"The Tea Station" - 7 May 2013

"The Tea Station" - 7 May 2013

Semaphore signal at the eastern end of the platform - 7 May 2013

Semaphore signal at the eastern end of the platform - 7 May 2013

Categories & Keywords
Category:
Subcategory:
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords: