Jutting out into the cold and violent North Atlantic, Cape Spear is the most easterly point of North America. Originally named “Cabo da Esperança” by Portuguese sailors, then “Cap d’Espoir” by the French, and eventually Cape Spear by the English, this point of land has been an important navigational aid from the earliest days of Newfoundland’s exploration to the present.
Built in 1836, Cape Spear features Newfoundland’s oldest surviving lighthouse, which is based on a square two story building with the tower and light in the middle. The light and technology in the lighthouse changed over time until 1955 when a new concrete lighthouse became operational. As it stands now the lighthouse has been restored to its 1839 appearance and is set up to show how a mid-nineteenth century lighthouse keeper and his family would have lived.
Cape Spear National Historic Park - 13 May 2016
The 1836 Lighthouse, Cape Spear - 13 May 2016
The 1955 Lighthouse, Cape Spear - 13 May 2016
© CLIFF JONES PHOTOGRAPHY